Harnett County, N.C. (August 5, 2013) – Harnett Health will host two Safe Kids Harnett County events to promote the safety and well-being of children. The public is invited to these FREE events from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday, August 12 at Central Harnett Hospital in Lillington and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, August 13 at Betsy Johnson Hospital in Dunn.
“We are excited to partner with Safe Kids Harnett County to educate and create awareness about the prevention of accidental childhood injuries,” said Mike Jones, administrator of Central Harnett Hospital and vice president of Support Services for Harnett Health. “These two events are excellent opportunities for caregivers and children to learn injury prevention methods in a fun, engaging atmosphere.”
Activities planned during the events include:
- S’more Dangerous Than You Think – see how heat impacts children in a vehicle by watching S’mores bake in a car
- Spot the Tot – learn how to prevent childhood injuries by spotting children around a vehicle before entering a car
- Free car seat checking station
- DWI Driving Simulator (courtesy of Harnett County Sheriff’s Office) – through virtual reality technology experience driving conditions as if under the influence of alcohol or as if texting while driving
- Harnett County Fire Safety Trailer – learn fire and life safety skills in the event of a home fire through a simulated experience
- Summerville Fire Department (at Central Harnett Hospital) / Dunn Emergency Services (at Betsy Johnson Hospital) – see a fire truck up close and talk with fire fighters
- American Red Cross – view an emergency response vehicle and get materials on emergency preparations
- NC Wildlife Commission – learn about boating and water safety
- Harnett County Health Department – safety tips and other information provided
- Harnett County Social Services – learn about community resources and programs
Child Passenger Safety Permanent Checking Stations
Harnett Health offers child car seat checks free of charge at Betsy Johnson Hospital in Dunn and Central Harnett Hospital in Lillington. To make a car seat check appointment, call Harnett Health at 910-892-1000 and ask for Chief Wilton Perez, Harnett Health Police and Security Manager, or Officer Allison Pastirik. Additional Child Passenger Safety Permanent Checking Stations are available in Harnett County. To find a checking station near you or for more information, go to www.buckleupnc.org.
About Harnett Health
Harnett Health is a private, not-for-profit healthcare system based in Dunn, N.C. The system encompasses a network of facilities throughout Harnett and Johnston counties and has more than 265 credentialed providers and more than 1,000 employees. The system includes Betsy Johnson Hospital in Dunn, N.C. with 101 beds and Central Harnett Hospital in Lillington, N.C. with 50 private inpatient rooms. Services offered through Harnett Health include outpatient rehab/wellness centers in Benson, N.C., Dunn, N.C., and Lillington, N.C., and cardiac rehabilitation services, a breast care center, outpatient cardiac testing and a wound care center in Dunn, N.C. The healthcare system has six physician practices: Angier Medical Services, Coats Medical Services, Dunn Medical Services, Lillington Medical Services, Harnett OB/GYN and Premiere Pediatrics. For more information and to use our Find-A-Physician tool, visit www.harnetthealth.org.
About Safe Kids Harnett County
Safe Kids Harnett County is part of Safe Kids North Carolina whose mission is to reduce and prevent accidental injuries in children from birth through age 14. Safe Kids works to prevent such injuries through education and outreach. For more information visit www.safekidsnc.org.